Disappointing products I have—or will be—returning

I’m not afraid to return products if I don’t like them. It’s definitely a hassle to make the trip to Sephora or Ulta (I probably buy 80% of my makeup online. the other 20% tend to be impulse purchases at Walgreens or other drugstores) but if a product isn’t worth the price—back it goes.

Recently, I’ve had a rash of products I’ve decided to return. Here are a few and my reasons for taking them back:

High end on the left, drugstore right. More product, better formula, same color and cheaper!

Tarte Color Splash Hydrating Lipstick: I ordered these from the Tarte website during their recent 20% off “Friends and Family” sale. I’ve heard such great things about the line and I was excited to give them a go. I got two: Set Sail and Skinny Dip. The first one I tried was Set Sail and I immediately felt a feeling of déjà vu. Coincidentally, my Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lip Color in Nude Nuance was within reach. I put Set Sail on one side of my lips and Nude Nuance on the other. Basically, the same color. Set Sail is slightly lighter but it’s close. Nude Nuance is actually much creamier and thicker, packing more punch and lasting longer. Since I ordered them online and directly from Tarte, I have to mail them back—which gives me a little more pause about returning them due to my aversion to the post office. But at $16 a piece with the discount, regularly $21, I can’t justify keeping them.  It’s too much for a lipstick that is a weaker version of a drugstore product I already own and like a ton.

bareMinerals Broad Spectrum Multi-Tasking Face in Well Rested: Another YouTube recommendation gone wrong. Ugh. I really hated this one. I disliked the packaging. A lot. I think it’s messy and a pain to monkey with—it’s kinda shallow for getting your brush in and you have to shake it to get the product out. I also didn’t find the powder that life changing. So I’ll stick to my favorite under eye powder, the NYX High Definition Finishing Powder in Banana which is half the price.  Bye, bye.

I’m sticking with you, kid.

Kat Von D Everlasting Lip Liner in Lolita: This one was a total impulse buy. I got an email that VIBs were getting early access to the launch so I decided to give it a try. I like Lolita—but I don’t love it. However, I have a bunch of other colors that are similar enough to that iconic nude that I thought I would still have a lot of use for the liner. And I would—except I found another drugstore dupe that is almost the same color and wear—the Rimmel London Exaggerate Full Colour Lip Liner in Obsession. Jess mentioned this lip liner in her “5 things I’m loving right now” post so I thought I’d give them a look. Yup—this one is a great lip liner and $6.50 versus $18. With all the BOGOs out there, you could pick up Obsession and Jess’ recommendation, Eastend Snob and it would still be less than one of the Kat Von D options. Going back.

Viseart EyeShadow Palette Petit PRO and the Natasha Denona Eyeshadow Palette 5 in Color 13: Both of these are expensive, high end eyeshadow palettes. The Viseart one is $30 and the shadows are tiny!! It’s such a little, little palette. I know it’s called “Petit” in the name, but my goodness. It makes the Naked Basics palettes seem supersized. The pans were so small, I could barely get my brush in them. And with both palettes, I didn’t find the shadow formulas that outstanding. Natasha Denona palettes are $48 a pop. For the price, I’ll stick to the Anastasia Beverly Hills Eyeshadow Singles that I love.

Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick: But I don’t love all of the ABH products. I found these drying and not very comfortable. I bought the color, Veronica, first. I love the color so much, I decided to forgive the formula.

Veronica–you can stay. *photo from anastasiabeverlyhills.com

In some kind of fog, I decided to try them again and purchased Spicy and Trust Issues at Ulta. (there might also have been some kind of sale involved…) Trust Issues was so patchy, it took several coats to cover my lips, which made the look as bad as the feel. I never even opened Spicy. I took both back to Ulta. Veronica stays, but I got $40 back on the other two. There are too many other nice liquid lipsticks that are cheaper and nicer to justify the cost.

Luckily, both Sephora and Ulta are good about returns–although I generally find Sephora to be a little easier if I’m missing a receipt. But it’s still worth the hassle to get your money back on products that don’t perform as they should.

Have you tried these products? Do you disagree? Did you love them? Any disappointing products you’d like to report on? We’d love to hear!!

I purchased these with my money which is why they will be returned.





2 thoughts on “Disappointing products I have—or will be—returning

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *